Friday, April 2, 2010

New Times, New Encouragement

I just finished planning for my SS lesson for this Sunday. The focus is on temptation: strange topic for an Easter Sunday. But I was looking over this lesson (it's in James 1:13-15), and I was convicted by this topic. I know that, sometimes, I get anxious and worried about things. And it usually happens when I've taken my focus off of God. Temptation, likewise, enters in because of our desires. When the temptation is the strongest, it's because our desire for it is stronger than our desire for God. Our priorities are out of whack.

The temptation for me right now is to become anxious: anxious about the future, about other people, about the way that my life is playing out. I'm tempted to maneuver, manipulate, orchestrate things how I want them because of my desire for control and order and basically just because I desire to know how things will turn out. My desires begin to take my eyes off of my Savior. And then inner turmoil breaks loose.

So the issue with temptation is on the fixation of my eyes. Will I look to myself and my desires, or will I look to Jesus? May my desire for Jesus be stronger...

1 comment:

Leah B. said...

Yeah, feel ya here! May my desire for Him be stronger and my fears and anxieties lessen in the light of His glory!